Sunday 24 February 2013

The Wrong Goodbye


de Chris F. Holm
The Collector Book Two
Urban fantasy
Angry Robot - 2012
387 pages - 8.99 $

En français ici

Why this book

After reading the first one (Dead Harvest), I could only read more. I love Holm's writing style that mixes so well thrillers, fantasy, pulp and a humor ... very dark. 

Summary 

Because of his efforts to avert the Apocalypse, Sam Thornton has been given a second chance – provided he can stick to the straight-and-narrow.Which sounds all well and good, but when the soul Sam’s sent to collect goes missing, Sam finds himself off the straight-and-narrow pretty quick.

A small part

My feet cast wild shadows as they scrabbled for puchase, but it wasn't any use. "I didn't -  I swear!"
He slammed me into the rock wall behind me. My head hit so hard I thought I'd puke. Then I did puke, so, you know, yay for being right.
"I think you're lying to me, Sammy," he said, and slammed me into the wall again, so hard my vision swam. Not that I minded much. In the best times, Dumas wasn't much to look at, and these weren't the best of times. 

My opinion

I have not been disappointed, once again, by the quality of the story and the writing of Chris F. Holm. He really has a knack for creating an atmosphere of his own and to make endearing characters, while at the base ... who wants to  befriend a collector?

I love the dark humor he distills throughout the book that enhances the dark side of the book and at the same time makes Sam more human and sympathetic.

I liked to meet up Sam and discover with him his new ​​colorful friends, but also to learn more about two people crucial in his life - his own collector Dumas and Lilith her boss.

Finally, I appreciate the nervous rhythm of the book that does not weaken. The book is packed with action, so you'll never have time to get bored. I wonder what those book would give on screen but I bet that'll blow one away!

Let's be brief

A book and a writer I highly recommend for who loves pulp, fantasy or both! 

No comments:

Post a Comment